Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: The Funky Blackwell

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Groovemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I too can't believe my eyes at what I'm reading here....

    "Though Blackwell is undoubtedly entertaining to watch (though only a few times since you know exactly what you'll get each time) and most definitely has a pocket, he really had no business making an instructional DVD set."

    Who in the name of the Lord are you to say that!!! Who are you to judge who is "allowed" to make a DVD? Personally I, (and doubtlessly tonnes of others) gained something from the DVD that I could find nowhere else, and that was showmanship. That in itself warrants the making of the discs. I don't know exactly what Buddy would have made of some of the frankly emotionless technicians around today (although he'd no doubt be impressed by how far their limbs went) but I'll bet he'd applaud someone for trying to keep the glitz and glamour of SHOWBUSINESS alive.

    If I want lessons I'll buy a different DVD or better still, go for lessons, but to say he's got nothing to offer is just plain silly. I've got to say, I can't agree with his attitude of not replacing sticks and heads (if that was the case), and I've never met John so can't comment.

    To be honest, who cares how he plays in clinic, he's playing with Prince, one of the grooviest men who ever lived. That Leno performance just SMOKED!!! He's played with Prince and Patti LaBelle, none of us have... he must be doing something right.

    Drummers care about clinic performances and DVD's the rest of the living care about music, and everytime I've seen him play with musicians, (the MD festival was again, a clinic to show off technique so doesn't really count for me) he has done his job, very well...

    MP

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Pocketime's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    322
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What a lively debate this particular thread has been. I did not realize that their would be so many strong responses Blackwell. It is this kind of spirited communication that really adds to what this forum is all about. Learning, growing and exchanging of ideas. Fuse I believe said it well, that many times we put other drummers up against the Vinnies, Weckls and so on. There are so many talented drummers out here, all with something to contribute. Blake, Steve, Pete,Rudy and so many others.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Klemme's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2003
    Posts
    854
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To be honest, i miss Michael Bland playing with Prince. He just had an amazing feeling for the groove. Listen to Prince pop song "Gold" the 2's and 4's are just perfect ( IMHO ).

    Blackwell is a exellent drummer, i like his Disco groove on The Everlasting Now Track etc. But he's not one of my favorite drummers.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Word, Michael B was indeed the cat to be playing with Prince.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Like i said b4; nothing at all wrong with his perf on Leno, it grooved hard...& if he's playing w Prince [or "The Artist Formerly Known As-" [img]wink.gif[/img] ], he must be doing something right...

    No off should be taken, as we all, once again, are simply expressing our opinions...while i am not particularly impressed by his level of chops, i will not say he can't groove when he wants to, otherwise, why would he get the call for such huge gigs?

    You are right, GM, after all, it IS ultimately about the groove/pocket & musicality, & NOT "chops"...

    [...& unwittingly, i think what we here end up doing [even if subconciously], is inadvertently & ultimately comparing everyone to Vinnie/Virg/Weck/Den/Novak [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] ]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 03, 2004 01:05 AM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Plaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Groovemeister:
    I too can't believe my eyes at what I'm reading here....

    "Though Blackwell is undoubtedly entertaining to watch (though only a few times since you know exactly what you'll get each time) and most definitely has a pocket, he really had no business making an instructional DVD set."

    Who in the name of the Lord are you to say that!!! Who are you to judge who is "allowed" to make a DVD? Personally I, (and doubtlessly tonnes of others) gained something from the DVD that I could find nowhere else, and that was showmanship. That in itself warrants the making of the discs. I don't know exactly what Buddy would have made of some of the frankly emotionless technicians around today (although he'd no doubt be impressed by how far their limbs went) but I'll bet he'd applaud someone for trying to keep the glitz and glamour of SHOWBUSINESS alive.

    If I want lessons I'll buy a different DVD or better still, go for lessons, but to say he's got nothing to offer is just plain silly. I've got to say, I can't agree with his attitude of not replacing sticks and heads (if that was the case), and I've never met John so can't comment.

    To be honest, who cares how he plays in clinic, he's playing with Prince, one of the grooviest men who ever lived. That Leno performance just SMOKED!!! He's played with Prince and Patti LaBelle, none of us have... he must be doing something right.

    Drummers care about clinic performances and DVD's the rest of the living care about music, and everytime I've seen him play with musicians, (the MD festival was again, a clinic to show off technique so doesn't really count for me) he has done his job, very well...

    MP
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Who am I to judge an instructional DVD that in my opinion should not have been made??? A PERSON WHO BOUGHT IT AND GOT NOTHING OUT OF IT....that's who I am. Do you think I bought it with the intention of saying all that I have about JB?? I think not. I bought it expecting him to really give insight into his 2/4 backbeat, and came away with nothing. (admittedly, maybe I was expecting the wrong thing) That isn't to say that someone else won't get something out of it, but when a musician buys an "instructional" piece of material, they expect to get something out of it, do we not?? John IMO is strictly a performing drummer, and a very good one at that (as I CLEARLY stated in my earlier post), but he is NOT an instructor, and had no business (once again, IMO) making an "instructional" video. I have watched the whole thing three times all the way through, and objectively came away with nothing except an enjoyance of the MD2000 performance, which was not worth shelling out the cash for the set. John talks about how he tries to stay "humble", and yet repeatedly toots his own horn in subversive ways. If you want a SMOOTH and flowing backbeat playing monster (IMO) with good technique, go with Omar. I personally would MUCH rather learn from him than JB. (I'm sorry to sound a little childish comparing guys, but I'm letting my thoughts flow (so to speak)) [img]wink.gif[/img] AGAIN, John is an entertaining and very good drummer to watch, but I hold true to my judgement about the DVD set.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    this argument sounds like the arguments that occurred when Neil put his video out.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Groovemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Again, Plaid, I have to respectfully disagree.

    You said, he had no business putting out an instructional DVD. I say he did. I learnt from it. To say you didn't learn from it is fine, but to throw judgement that JB had no right to make the DVD as he's got nothing to impart, (which is in effect, exactly what you are saying) is wrong.

    MP

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Plaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Groovemeister:
    Again, Plaid, I have to respectfully disagree.

    You said, he had no business putting out an instructional DVD. I say he did. I learnt from it. To say you didn't learn from it is fine, but to throw judgement that JB had no right to make the DVD as he's got nothing to impart, (which is in effect, exactly what you are saying) is wrong.

    MP
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not wrong, my friend.....just an opinion like yours. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  10. #30
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    this argument sounds like the arguments that occurred when Neil put his video out.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't remember this particular topic, but...
    NP had no business putting out an instructional DVD either [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    [Just a li'l j/k there[?], boys]....

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 06, 2004 05:10 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •